Monday, October 29, 2007

Slam Dunk!

It's pretty easy to slam dunk your upbringing. Even though I know I have told both members of my immediate family, I am pretty sure that they have not ventured into these unchartered waters, where it is pretty much me, who controls the flow. (I do love mixing metaphors). By the way I Know there is a hebrew phrase that looks and sounds better then me saying (he should rest in peace) every time I mention a dead (or niftir) relative.

My grandmother (she should rest in peace) was perhaps the only one in the family who really used this phrase (should rest in peace) like all the time. I try to imagine how it might sound if I actually started to talk about both my father (he should rest in peace) and his mother, my grandmother (she should rest in piece) in the same thread, as I actually plan to do here.

Okay lets try this: A blanket rest in peace for every time I mention either my father [He Should rest in Peace] or his mother [She should rest in Peace]. Why this all is so important becomes clear as you start to hear more of my story.

Lets pick it up at a point where my Dad (blanket R.I.P.) was dying of cancer, and his mom (blanket R.I.P.), my grandmother was in an old age home in a place known to Calfornia natives as "The Valley". People might call this San Fernando Valley, or perhaps could properly refer to the various areas such as Van Nuys (remind me to tell you the joke sometime) or Tarzana, or Sherman Oaks. Even North Hollywood is in The Valley, however West Hollywood is really close to Hollywood proper, you know swimming pools, movie stars. Beverly Hills is really some very expensive real estate with some great views which lies between Hollywood, and Brentwood/Westwood/Santa Monica. UCLA (in the heart of Wetwood-like a real city in LA) is conveniently located adjacent to both Beverly Hills and those other westside areas which also include West L.A.- which real is nothing like LA.

Okay, all this being said I now want to share with you what could best be described as a continuous Bikur Cholem call, while I visited my Dad (* see above) and his Mom (*see above) my Grandama*. Despite all my grand visions, plans goal, and unique perspective on so many things, my fortune had not yet found me while I was visiting sick or dying relatives in California in 1984. (to be continued-later maybe tonight)

No comments: